Tuesday, October 9, 2007

When you lose control over your writings...

Today, I went on MyJewishLearning.com to make a list here of all my articles on that site (notice new sidebar). I wrote several articles for them over about two or three years. I loved it and was very proud of my work for them. At one point, the editor changed, she and I had some miscommunications, they changed the lay-out and focus of the site (which I feel is now SO much less attractive and user-friendly), and I stopped writing for them. (Sigh.) I still feel that MJL is one of the best sites to learn something Jewish that isn't filled with a personal or denominational biases.

When I went to the site, I did a bit of a freak-out. I wrote for MJL several articles without a by-line, mostly topical overviews for sections. Several of these now have been significantly altered. I will admit that these additions are mostly for the better. Originally, the topical overviews had a pretty rigid word-limit, which seems to no longer apply. So the extra info is great... but it still feels eerie to read an article in which sentences and paragraphs of your writing are interspersed with that of another person or persons.

No comments: