Monday, October 8, 2007

Israel may OK division of Jerusalem - Yahoo! News

I woke up early this morning, unable to free my mind of a to-do list that kept getting longer and longer during the Tishrei holidays. Laundry that's been piling up since the beginning of Sukkot. Finishing up the curricula I've been writing for my sixth- and eighth-grade students. Continuing to put away wedding gifts and finish thank-you notes. Send gifts purchased in New Zealand, on our honeymoon. Finishing the unpacking from the honeymoon. I think you get the idea. I'm hoping to go back to sleep momentarily, but I turned on the computer to find out that Jerusalem might be divided again--not the Old City, mind you, but a separation of the Palestinian and Jewish neighborhoods into Palestinian- and Jewish-governed areas.

In reality, there really are two Jerusalems already. Once, several classmates and I tried to catch a taxi in the Rehavia neighborhood that would take us to a teacher's house on the Arab side of town. It took us four attempts before we could find a driver to take us.

Still, I don't know how many Israelis and lovers of Israel are ready for this.

Israel may OK division of Jerusalem - Yahoo! News

No comments: